All About Dr. Barry Sears, Creator of the Zone DietPosted on: September 25, 2019
One of the most popular diet plans today is the Zone Diet. It is easy to follow, and it can help you improve your eating habits so that you can learn how to eat better for the long run, not just for the short term. So, in addition to helping you lose weight, it can also help you take steps towards improving your overall health by choosing healthier foods every day. But, who was the person behind this popular diet? Well, that would be Dr. Barry Sears, the creator of the Zone Diet!
An Introduction to Dr. Barry Sears, Creator of the Zone Diet
If you want to know where the Zone Diet came from, then you’ll need to start by learning about Dr. Barry Sears. He is the person who created this weight loss strategy that has managed to reach a significant level of popularity.
To start what you know about Dr. Barry Sears, you should realize that his expertise is in the dietary control of hormonal response. The Zone Diet’s official website unapologetically refers to him as a leading expert in that area. Prior to the creation of the diet, he worked as a Boston University School of Medicine and Massachusetts Institute of Technology research scientist. He has been working for three decades to better understand lipids.
The bio about Dr. Barry Sears on the diet’s website also points out that he reached a turning point in his career when he started to focus on prostaglandins, a form of eicosanoids that are a type of physiologically active fat compound that can have a broad spectrum of impacts similar to those of hormones. In 1982, his attention was drawn to this category as it was the focus of that year’s winners of the Nobel Prize in Medicine, John Vane, Sune Bergström, and Bengt I. Samuelsson.
How Dr. Barry Sears, Creator of the Zone Diet, Started Creating This Plan
Dr. Sears drew the conclusion that as eicosanoids are produced exclusively through the use of dietary fat, it is possible only to use the principles of intravenous drug delivery to control the hormone-like responses they cause. Essentially, he began looking at food in the same way he would look at a medication in terms of its impact on the body. He geared his research in that direction from then onward.
Books by Dr. Barry Sears, Creator of the Zone Diet
The Zone book was the culmination of his research until that point. It was published in 1995 and has since sold over two million copies. Dr. Sears also now holds 13 U.S. Patents relating to hormonal regulation for the purpose of cardiovascular disease treatment, and intravenous drug delivery systems.
- Sears published a second book two years after the first one, titled Mastering the Zone, which has sold about a quarter of his first book’s total so far.
- Also in 1997, he published his third book, Zone Perfect Meals in Minutes.
- Two years after that came The Anti-Aging Zone.
- Three years after that,The OmegaRx Zone hit the shelves.
- The Anti-Inflammation Zone was published in 2005.
- That was followed by another book in 2008 called Toxic Fat, which broke away from his “zone” title trend.
- Finally, there was The Mediterranean Zone in 2014.
Interested in Trying the Zone Diet? Great!
If, after learning about Dr. Barry Sears, creator of the Zone Diet, you are interested in giving this diet a try, that’s great! You will be able to learn how to eat better for your health, and you might also start to find it easier to lose those extra pounds that you have been carrying around for so long.
What are the main benefits of following the Zone Diet, especially since there are so many other diet plans that you can consider? Well, according to Everyday Health, there are a few reasons why this diet has become so popular and why it has stood the test of time, and some of them are listed below:
- This diet is surprisingly easy to follow, especially when you compare it to other diets. Once you get the hang of things, it will be easy for you to use this diet to eat right every day. It is just a matter of figuring out what foods should be limited or eliminated, and which foods you should be emphasizing in your daily meal plans.
- If you are the type of person who hates diets because they are so restrictive, you will be happy to learn that the Zone Diet is different because it is known for its wide variety of food options. This is especially true when this diet is compared to other diets are high in protein. Because it isn’t as restrictive, you can follow the eating plan that you are most comfortable with, without feeling deprived.
- Another reason why this diet is so popular is because it can help you control your blood sugar. It encourages you to limit refined sugar, but it lets you eat fruits, veggies, and whole grains, so your blood sugar will naturally stabilize, and you won’t have to deal with as many cravings as a result of more stable blood sugar.
- If weight loss is your goal, this is a smart diet to try, as the majority of people who decide to eat this way do find that the number on the scale goes down.
- Aiming to get more healthy fats into your diet? The Zone Diet makes it easier to do so. It doesn’t want you to eat trans fat or saturated fat, but it does encourage you to eat healthy fats like omega-3s that are beneficial to your whole body.
- Inflammation in the body can lead to a host of ailments, but the Zone Diet is designed in such a way as to help you naturally reduce the inflammation throughout your body so that you hopefully improve your health and avoid problems.
Well, there you have it: information on Dr. Barry Sears, creator of the Zone Diet, along with plenty of information on the benefits of the diet so that you can decide if this is the route that you would like to take as you work on improving your eating habits.