If you do a quick Google search for the best weight loss diet, you’ll suddenly find yourself faced by thousands of different options. There is a strategy out there based on virtually every food, food group or part of the body. You can find diets based on everything from grapefruits to blood type. This doesn’t necessarily mean that they all work. In fact, the vast majority of them aren’t based on any level of reputable science.
So how do you ensure your success when you start on a new and promising diet? The truth of the matter is that dieting doesn’t need to be a whole life overhaul with a huge amount of complexity. In fact, in many circumstances, the simpler a diet is, the greater the odds of success if only because you’ll be more willing to keep doing it.
If you want to make sure you’ll be able to stick to your diet, use the following 5 rules to ensure you’ll stay on track:
1. Eat better – No matter what a weight loss strategy might tell you about your food, if you are not creating a calorie deficit, you’re not burning stored fat. So whether you want to focus on eating fewer carbs, sugars or anything else, when you get right down to the heart of the matter, the main focus is good old calories. Therefore, the key is to ensure that you’re eating enough food to satisfy your palate and your hunger without consuming too many calories. Research suggests that nutrient density can play a great role in ensuring success in this area. Eat a diet that balances your carbohydrates, fats and proteins. Focus on getting tons of fiber and ensure that you’re getting enough calcium, iron and the other vitamins and minerals your body needs to be healthy. At first, it will seem awkward to wrap your days around balanced nutrition but if you track your food intake online or with an app, you will come to understand your foods and this habit will become second nature to you.
2. Give yourself structure – Many people loathe the idea of a structured weight loss plan. However, by giving yourself rules, you will know whether or not you are staying within your strategy or whether you have drifted away from it. This doesn’t mean that your diet needs to be tremendously restrictive. However, it does mean that you will need a basic foundation upon which your entire effort will be based. Even the most flexible successful diets have a certain degree of structure. This may be a daily calorie range a weekly fasting day or a certain macronutrient balance. Whatever it is, get to know it and understand how you will live within that structure.
3. Love protein, fiber and the right fats – Get to know where you can find healthy fats, how much fiber you need and how to obtain protein without unhealthy fats. As you do, make sure you obtain the right balance from each of these categories every single day. This step alone will make an amazing difference to your hunger reduction, your body’s ability to burn fat instead of muscle and to your nutrient absorption among other benefits.
4. Focus on cutting junk food – Having junk food as a treat on a rare occasion won’t hurt anything. However, if you work it in as a regular part of your diet it will most certainly be damaging to your nutrition and your efforts for weight management. These foods are nutritionally empty, low fiber calories containing only salt, sugar and fat.
5. Think of your weight management as a lifelong strategy – Among the biggest failures in a diet is thinking that it ends when you reach your goal weight. That’s one of the fastest ways to making sure you’ll regain the weight. Instead, embrace your new lifestyle, discover ways to love it and you’ll lose the weight and keep it off for the rest of your life.